Spanish rookie Álex Márquez produced a scintillating ride to secure his best-ever finish in the elite class at Sunday’s French Grand Prix. He gave Repsol Honda its first podium in 2020 by finishing second having started from 18th place.
The dramatic, rainy race in Le Mans saw Márquez take full advantage of the testing conditions, however, the Spaniard settled for second behind Danilo Petrucci to secure his 39th podium and first in the premier class.
He said: "It wasn’t easy starting 18th on the grid but I was feeling really good on the bike. It’s a great result for the Repsol Honda Team and I want to say thank you to them for always believing in me and working so hard. Myself and the team never gave up."
Red Bull KTM Factory Racing rider Pol Espargaró secured third after edging out the experienced Andrea Dovizioso, who finished in fourth.
French Grand Prix result:
1. Danilo Petrucci ITA Ducati Team 45m 54.736s
2. Álex Márquez SPA Repsol Honda +1.273s
3. Pol Espargaró SPA Red Bull KTM +1.711s
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team +3.911s
5. Johann Zarco FRA Reale Avintia +4.310s
2020 MotoGP rider standings:
1. Fabio Quartararo FRA Yamaha 115 points
2. Joan Mir SPA Suzuki 105
3. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati 97